October 15, 2009

Today is Take Your Mug To Work Day


Randomly reading about coffee in the news this morning, I read about Carly Simon's lawsuit against Starbucks. It has something to do with poor sales of her recent album, apparently marketed exclusively at the famous coffee chain. I'm not clear on all that, as I found it on Amazon. I love that Starbucks exists, and believe it has been good for coffee culture, awareness, business and availability. I also like Carly Simon's music. Great voice, smart lyrics, and interesting music. I haven't heard the new album.

But it doesn't matter.

What does matter is much more important news (unless you are either Ms. Simon or own stock in Starbucks). Today is Bring Your Mug to Work Day. I have no idea whose idea this is but I like it. If you know the day's history, please let me know. You can post a comment on my blog, or contact me privately (it will take you to a form on my main website).

Stealing what a Facebook group dedicated to this says (for the record, I swiped their logo too)...
Take your mug to work on Thursday, October 15th, and create your own in-office coffeehouse. Start the day off with CoffeeHouse Inspirations coffee creamers to create an indulgent caramel macchiato or perhaps a rich white chocolate mocha. You won’t break the bank … you will help the planet.

I posted on the discussion board there:
Excellent idea. Working from home today myself, but always use a mug at work. Sometimes I still buy a cup somewhere. At cafes, I'll get a mug, not paper, but that wasn't an environmental decision so much as it was a preference of consumption. Only when I'm on the run do I use the paper cups. I'll need to come up with a better plan.

Today, I used a tea cup for a double espresso lungo. It is sadly now empty as I am cutting back on what had been prodigious amounts of caffeine.

It never occurred to me how much paper is wasted. Even if it is recycled paper, it is still wasteful.

Coffee lovers? Join my coffee klatch, post photos of your favorite mugs:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=53289456412

This Kind of Love



Visit Carly Simon's Amazon Music Store

No comments:

Post a Comment