July 1, 2010

Stale Beans No More. Coffee's Continued Popularity and Growth

We have come a long way from stale beans ground for months to make percolated coffee. I sometimes wonder what my great grandparents would think of today's coffee.

The short version of a very long history is, in America, by the time coffee beans reached even the most major of cities, months may have passed. Then, they were roasted, ground, and stored. Not so good. Coffee of 1890 was not coffee of 2010.

From all I have read, those in more rural areas would themselves often roast the beans, but that this has fallen out of practice. I am hoping to learn to do this. 

Now, with a huge push by chains like Starbucks, the average person can enjoy what used to be difficult to acquire. A market for high-end coffee drinks was developed, and a plethora of shops and other resources has grown to the point that anyone can buy top-quality, freshly roasted beans, grind them at home, and pull their own espresso. 

Tiny shops thrive, big chains thrive. Coffee fans indulge. 

These are good days. Oh, how I would love to make a pot of this blessed drink, and linger with my ancestors. I think they would approve, so long as I didn't give it a goofy marketing department-generated name. 

Friends don't let friends drink Starbucks - funny bumper stickers (Large 14x4 inches)
Friends don't let friends drink Starbucks - funny bumper stickers (Large 14x4 inches)

No comments:

Post a Comment